Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Welcome to Hip Hop Dubs



First off welcome to the site! I'm gonna try to faithfully keep this thing updated. My main goal here is to share some rare treats from the hundreds of cassette tapes I used to trade with some cats online all over the country, from mixtapes to rare freestyles to unreleased tracks, and I'm gonna try my hardest to make sure these are things I have Googled and not found online.

First up I'm including side A of Eddie Ill and DL's classic indie hip hop mixtape series. This one is called Scenes from the Underworld. The best thing about these is they played a lot of hot indie hip hop stuff that hadn't been released at the time and had freestyles over completely original beats. On this one in particular They had some of the Makin' Records family freestyling over an original beat by Run Run Shaw for the intro. The end has Craig G. rhyming over an original beat by Vinyl Reanimators. Super hot mixtape and the quality isn't too bad on this one as it was a well preserved tape. 45 minute A-side. Any question on tracks let me know they're pretty legible on the cover scan. Enjoy!

Eddie Ill and DL #2 - Scenes From The Underworld Side A

3 comments:

  1. Yo my man. I love this blog and this looks like the start of something epic. Do theee damn thing. Please sir since you have tapes...Ever heard of a Mr. Dibbs tape from 96-98 called 1200 Prophecies that was presented by Strength Magazine? Very rare cassette Im sure and a very decent tracklist. Classic 1200 hobos very much like Dibbs Turntable Jazz. It only came with the magazine. I seem hype, but trust me on this tape because if you can find it I would paypal u $100 plus.
    derekhlt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. man I do remember that tape but I don't think I have it may have a friend who does and really doesn't care about it though...thanks for checking the site I'll hit you up if I find anything

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sorry to pester you man. You heard anything about that 1200 Prophecies tape? I was at least thrilled to know that someone had heard of it. That means that it wasn't too damn scarce hopefully! I even talked to John Doe yesterday and he isn't really coming through off the start because he doesn't recall it thru Dibbs' large discography. I guess it's extensive if you count the many tapes 1200 Hobos probably put out in the mid ninties and all the post slug shii than yes, large discography. I wish Discogs was on top of cassettes like they are vinyl for the most part. Judging by this 1200 Prophecies tape it seems like the transition out of what may be some of the greatest tapes from around 95-98! He said it does sound familiar though and I told him I would pay ridiculous amounts. I even bought a few mixtapes from him just to get the ball rolling. The identifier I told him was the B side intro where it is some Arrested Development lol flute or something cut back and forth with this all pre-1960 woman's voice singing, "Cincinaaaaatti!" So the flute, "D-d-d do do doo, Cincinatti, d d d do doo, Cincinaaatti! D-d-d do do dooooo, Cincinaaaaaati", and so on. I do remember half of the tracklist too so if that helps, I will! There, sorry. Hit my wife's address, mine is a spam sammie! At least tell me you are positive you heard this tape. susie0029@msn.com

    ReplyDelete